The following records have been uploaded and approved for this cemetery.
4051 Rowland Drive
Charlotte County, Florida 33980
The Hickory Bluff Cemetery was established in the late 1800s, adjacent to land purchased on June 2, 1884 by July Roberts, an early African-American settler. Initial burials began following the Civil War when freed African-Americans settled in the area and engaged in farming and fishing. William Curry, an early white landowner added to the original plot and recorded a “colored cemetery” already in existence.
Burial records prior to 1908 are undocumented; however, the last cemetery caretaker recorded fourteen known burials between the years 1908 and the final internment in 1947.
The cemetery is now owned and maintained by Charlotte County.
A Charlotte County Historical Marker was dedicated on Feb 25, 2016. The Hickory Bluff Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) sponsored the historical marker.
Cemetery research provided by the Blanchard House Museum of African American History and Culture of Charlotte County, Punta Gorda, FLorida.
|*MACK, Cemetery||Hickory Bluff Cemetery||Charlotte||2020-06-02 06:00:58|
|COLEMAN, Ben R||Hickory Bluff Cemetery||Charlotte||2020-06-02 06:00:36|
|MACK, Emziah||Hickory Bluff Cemetery||Charlotte||2020-06-02 06:00:54|
|MACK, Julia||Hickory Bluff Cemetery||Charlotte||2020-06-02 06:00:54|